Monday, December 3, 2007

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

I love to learn the history of Christmas carols AND Christmas songs. Did you know that The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas are locked in a struggle for first place in performed Christmas songs? I happen to love BOTH of those songs. I remember sitting at the kitchen table as a kid and listening to Nat sing Chestnuts. What good memories. Now I love to hear Celine belt it out!

As for non-Christmas songs, my 20 something year old student teacher has recently been introduced to Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons and plays their music on his phone during our breaks. I love the songs as well. It's interesting that we connect on this level. Ah...the universal language of music.

What is your favorite Christmas song or carol? What about golden oldie group? Who do you like?

2 comments:

ldperez said...

O Holy Night is still my favorite Christmas song. For fun I also like Jingle Bell Rock.

Amy said...

O Holy Night for me, too. I just looked up the history of it and it's pretty interesting. It was penned by an non-believer and the music was composed by a Jew.

I also love, O Come O Come Emmanuel, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, and Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

For recent original music, I like "Labor of Love" by Andrew Peterson and "Welcome to our World" by Chris Rice.