Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again

My first day back at school was pretty good. The most challenging thing about teaching is getting the children to LISTEN. I think this is a problem universally with PEOPLE. We are NOT good listeners. Today, I blew my stack at them - then I have to go back and apologize for getting angry. They know I care about them and their learning, they just can't seem to help themselves. Why is focusing so hard? I keep them moving and we do a wide variety of activities, but still we expect so much out of these sweet little people. Today when I was teaching what is 4/5 of 20, I wondered...what do THEY care??? Again I wondered, WHY is this a second grade lesson? I also wondered this yesterday when I was (for the umpteenth time) trying to explain the difference between a fact and an opinion. Did I even know these words in second grade? Why do we rush them? If someone has a good answer for this, please share........

3 comments:

yzorderrox said...

what did you say? :)

yzorderrox said...

It's too bad the school schedule is so strict. It would be kind of neat if kids could really concentrate on that which they are most interested.

Sally said...

I guess on that same note, I wish we could teach that in which we had the most interest (-: